Week 2: Vampire Load
Oct. 5th, 2026 04:44 pmDo you remember
five summers ago?
When my mother, her husband, my sister
and my brother
all told you
about the kind of person I am?
About who I am?
And you laughed,
you scoffed.
She takes charge, they said.
She's loud, they said.
Particular, even bossy.
She's a lot.
They said.
But you'll never need a leader
if she's around.
How can your own family
not even know you?
you asked.
The kids agreed.
That's not like mom at all,
they said.
She's easy going.
She doesn't make choices.
She goes with the flow.
She's the opposite of
everything
you said.
And I agreed with you, with the kids.
I knew who I was.
Agreeable,
easy to be with,
always optimistic, nice, capable, positive
in the face of,
especially in the face of,
all that you were.
But,
turns out,
none of us knew the truth.
All the vigilance,
the preemptive problem-solving,
the desperate absorption of
the negativity
that seemed
always to be around us
and many times
aimed at me...
the swallowing of insults,
or jokes,
the rerouting of snipes,
or irritation,
the mitigation of mood,
of fallout,
the putting everything back together,
the papering over of
the empty hole at the core,
the reconstruction of the ever flimsier house
atop the rotting wood,
turns out,
carrying that load
day in and out
for twenty years
sucked me dry.
five summers ago?
When my mother, her husband, my sister
and my brother
all told you
about the kind of person I am?
About who I am?
And you laughed,
you scoffed.
She takes charge, they said.
She's loud, they said.
Particular, even bossy.
She's a lot.
They said.
But you'll never need a leader
if she's around.
How can your own family
not even know you?
you asked.
The kids agreed.
That's not like mom at all,
they said.
She's easy going.
She doesn't make choices.
She goes with the flow.
She's the opposite of
everything
you said.
And I agreed with you, with the kids.
I knew who I was.
Agreeable,
easy to be with,
always optimistic, nice, capable, positive
in the face of,
especially in the face of,
all that you were.
But,
turns out,
none of us knew the truth.
All the vigilance,
the preemptive problem-solving,
the desperate absorption of
the negativity
that seemed
always to be around us
and many times
aimed at me...
the swallowing of insults,
or jokes,
the rerouting of snipes,
or irritation,
the mitigation of mood,
of fallout,
the putting everything back together,
the papering over of
the empty hole at the core,
the reconstruction of the ever flimsier house
atop the rotting wood,
turns out,
carrying that load
day in and out
for twenty years
sucked me dry.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-06 05:36 pm (UTC)I also really connected with the idea of the two different families (the ones you grew up with, vs. the ones who met you later in life) see completely different people. But especially with the idea that the person that your parents and siblings saw is probably a fundamental version of you -- the you that you were before the life sucked you dry. I've told myself for a while that I'm tired and boring... but if I look back to my youth, I was never boring and only tired because I was doing so many things.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-06 08:44 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 05:07 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 06:28 am (UTC)Dan
no subject
Date: 2026-10-07 09:42 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-08 09:54 am (UTC)This is wonderful. Truly. <3
no subject
Date: 2026-10-09 02:33 am (UTC)She's a lot.
This is a very hard thing to hear from your family, and I can see how you might bend over backwards to prove yourself different from that for someone who doesn't carry that baggage in their view of you.
But the danger is bending too far. For love alone, it's hard not to do that. And that makes it harder to see when you shouldn't keep doing that.
It sounds as if your marriage ended, and that the change was a good thing for you.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-09 03:31 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-09 11:39 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-09 11:42 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-09 08:49 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-10 12:43 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-11 01:58 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-11 06:48 am (UTC)This is heavy with truth. So much truth.
❤❤❤
no subject
Date: 2026-10-11 03:24 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-11 05:08 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-11 09:44 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-12 01:25 am (UTC)